True story. This is exactly how it feels. Being creative is a way of life. True. But sometime we stuck. You know, the
writer’s creative block. We’ve all been there. So, what do you do to stay creative? I’ve collected a good numbers of inspiring tips during the years, and I’d like to share a few of them with you.
1. SLEEP. When working on new projects or when I’m extremely inspired, I tend to stay up all night. I simply can’t stop working and just sleep. This is wrong, I know. We need a good sleep in order to have energy to do things we love!
2. WATER. Start each day with a glass of water, preferably with lemon. Not only helps it flush out the toxins in the body, it also gives an energy boost! Drink a lot of water during the day, too.
3. MEDITATE. meditation helps to maintain clarity, calmness and focus. I like to meditate in the morning, before I start to work, for at least 30 minutes (and at night, before I go to bed. It helps to clear my mind and rest better) “To bring intelligence into activity, you don’t need more information, you need more meditation. You need to become less mind and more heart.” [Osho]
4. LISTEN TO MUSIC. I can’t go a day without music. I always listen to music when I work. Studies proved that areas responsible for motor actions, emotions and creativity are activated during music listening.
5. MAKE LISTS. I’m a fan of lists. To do list, music, films, books to read, places to go…just use your imagination!
6. GO OUT. Visit museums and galleries. Go to the cinema. Go to theatre. Go to the farm market. See people, travel. Even if just for a walk, just go out.
7. BE A SPONGE. Try new things, new music, new places, new food. Be an observer. Stay informed.
8. BE POSITIVE. Never say “I can’t do it”. Learn from failures. “An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail.” [Edwin Land] (artwork by artist Sarah Trumbauer, on Etsy)
9. BE GRATEFUL. Express gratitude every morning. Gratitude promotes happiness!
10. DON’T COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHERS. It only causes stress, unhappiness, anxiety and depression. And you don’t need these things in your life. “The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt. ” [Sylvia Plath]
11. BE CURIOUS. Explore new things. Look things up. Go deep. Study people and their emotions.
12. KEEP YOUR WORKSPACE CLEAN.
13. SURROUND YOURSELF WITH POSITIVE & CREATIVE PEOPLE. Stay away from negative, whiny, lazy people. You don’t need that bad energy in your life.
14. SMUDGE YOUR WORKSPACE, OFFICE AND HOME. It clears negative energy from a space. Read more about smudging
15. CARRY A NOTEBOOK EVERYWHERE. And take a journal. I couldn’t live without my notebook!
16. HAVE FUN! “Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun.” [ Mary Lou Cook]
17. TURN THE TV OFF. I haven’t owned a TV for years now and I have to say I’ve never been so happy (and creative) my whole life. There’re a lot of interesting things you can do instead of seating watching TV!
18. SPEND TIME WITH CHILDREN. Every child is an artist.
19. BE LAZY AND DAYDREAM. Yes, sometimes all we need it’s to just do absolutely nothing. Sit in a garden or lie in bed and let your mind wander…and dream.
20. SHARE AND COLLABORATE. Be inspired by other people’s work but never imitate. Be yourself, be unique. Love what you do!